The use and abuse of substances such as alcohol and drugs should not be underestimated in their potential for damage. Individuals who engage in substance abuse behaviors risk affecting their physical and emotional health in addition to damaging the people, relationships, and opportunities around them. That is why it is so important to seek substance abuse treatment in Minnesota if you or someone you love suffers from the condition. Here are some facts about substance abuse.
- 1 in every 12 people suffer from alcohol abuse or dependence.
- 88,000 deaths are annually attributed to excessive alcohol abuse.
- More than 7 million children live in a household where at least one parent is dependent on or has abused alcohol in their lifetime.
- Over time, alcohol abuse can lead to chronic diseases, neurological impairments, and social problems.
- An estimated 8% of U.S. population aged 12 and up have used an illicit drug in the past 30 days.
- The national estimated cost of drug abuse exceeds $190 billion.
- Each year, more teens enter addiction treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than all other illegal drugs combined.
- 43,982 Americans die each year from a drug overdose
- An estimated 20% of the U.S. population have abused prescription drugs
There is no single, absolute factor that determines whether or not someone will fall into substance abuse and addiction. However, science and historical precedence have concluded that there are three main risk factors that can influence addiction.
- Biology- Genetics and biological makeup can affect ones likelihood of suffering from substance abuse.
- Environment- Socioeconomic status, quality of life, peer pressure, parental influence—all of these environmental factors and more play a role in someone’s likelihood of abuse.
- Development- The above two factors can combine to influence stages of development that make one more susceptible to addiction. And in general, adolescents are at a greater risk because the decision-making part of their brain is still developing.
As evidenced above, substance abuse is a seriously dangerous behavior. Since substance abuse creates such a high-risk environment for the individual affected, it should be treated with a comprehensive approach.
Options Family and Behavior Services offers substance abuse treatment in Minnesota to help teens develop the skills necessary to combat their condition. We provide a structured treatment program that aims at developing a multi-faceted approach to recovery. If you or someone you love suffers from substance abuse contact Options Family, your center for substance abuse treatment in Minnesota.
Courtesy of NCADD