Partnering with Parents
Partnering with Parents Program is designed to empower parents and guardians who are struggling with adolescents that have challenging behaviors associated with their chemical and/or mental health.
The program meets two evenings a week for four consecutive weeks for parents with adolescents in our Adolescent Day Treatment program.
Our Adolescent Day Treatment Program is for adolescents with mental and chemical health concerns. If your adolescent isn’t actively enrolled in our Day Treatment, you are still welcome to attend the program.
HOW DOES THIS PROGRAM BENEFIT PARENTS?
Partnering with Parents Program is led by a qualified mental health therapist. The purpose of the program is to help parents and guardians develop skills and learn new strategies to address their adolescent’s challenging behaviors.
This Program is a great resource for parents who have:
- Adolescents attending a residential treatment program and will eventually return home to a lower level of care
- Adolescents who are struggling with mental health illness and substance abuse
- Adolescents struggling with behavior problems
- Partnering with Parents Program empowers parents and guardians to regain control of their household by helping:
- Identify parenting styles and how they directly affect the parent-child relationship
- Establish boundaries
- Increase structure and consistency
- Increase the adolescent’s self–esteem and motivation with positive reinforcement through verbal praise and other techniques
- Establish, communicate, and enforce rules
- Create a healthy home environment
HOW DOES OUR PARTNERING WITH PARENTS PROGRAM BENEFIT ADOLESCENTS?
If parents/guardians follow through with strategies learned in this program, their adolescents will benefit by:
- Improved relationship with parents/guardians
- Healthy boundaries
- Increased security
- Increased self-esteem and self-efficacy
- Awareness of expectations and a better understanding of cause and effect
- Improved mental health and/or chemical health recovery
- More productive and respectful
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
HOW IS THIS PROGRAM DIFFERENT FROM FAMILY THERAPY?
Partnering with Parents Program is a skill-based therapeutic group designed to increase parents/guardians’ skills, strategies, and understanding of their adolescent. It is not a support group.
HOW LONG IS THE PROGRAM?
The program is two evenings a week, for a total of nine consecutive sessions.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU’RE ABSENT?
Parents with children in our Partnering with Parents Program or Adolescent Day Treatment must attend all sessions. If you are court-ordered you are also required to attend all sessions. Parents/guardians with one absence or less will successfully complete the program.
IS CHILDCARE PROVIDED?
No, childcare is not provided.